Earn an SJD degree from Golden Gate University School of Law. As one of the oldest universities in California and the first evening law school for working professionals in the Western U.S., Golden Gate University is a top global destination for the prestigious terminal legal degree.
Golden Gate University, San Francisco
Doctor of Juridical Science
Students who successfully complete the program and coursework are eligible to receive the degree from Golden Gate University’s School of Law.
- Golden Gate University School of Law is an American law school accredited by the American Bar Association (ABA), the California State Bar, and Western Association of Schools and Colleges Senior College and University Commission (WSCUC). GGU Law is a member in good standing of the Association of American Law Schools.
Key Program Highlights
1-week on-campus immersion (optional)
- First semester – Basics of Legal Research, Tools & Methodology – Coverage with recorded and live sessions
- Second semester – Learners will select the topic of their dissertation, fine-tune their subject matter, draft and submit the first chapter of their dissertation and prepare for their first oral examination.
- A 3-member committee will supervise the students, evaluate the written material of the first chapter and give a go-ahead for the oral examination. This comes after the second semester and at the end of the first year.
- This first oral examination would be where the learners have decided on a clear topic and have written the first chapter introducing their dissertation.
- The evaluation of the learner shall be based on the clarity of the topic selected(along with the resources used) and the ability of the student to conduct independent research.
- The learner shall be taken into the next phase of the program once they pass the oral examination.
- For the next 2 years, the learners will individually work on the subsequent chapters in the second phase.
- The learners can reach out to their supervisor at any point in time for guidance throughout this phase. It is recommended that learners connect with the supervisors at least once a month. The aim is to have 3 committee members
- Live sessions shall be conducted during the first semester and subsequently a few master classes during the second semester
- The ideal timeline for submitting the draft would be within 2 years after reaching the candidacy stage followed by dissertation defense.